PE and Sport Premium
The aims of the National Curriculum for Physical Education ensure that all children:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for a sustained period of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives
Sport Premium Funding
The funding has been allocated to primary schools and has been ‘ring fenced’. This means it can only be spent specifically on P.E. and sport in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of P.E. and sport, though how they do this remains their decision. Schools are required to publish how the funding has been used and the impact it has made. They have to include details of their provision of P.E. and sport on their website, alongside details of their broader curriculum, so that parents/carers can compare sports provision between schools, both within and beyond the school day.
All children should leave primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of P.E. and sport in primary schools.
Indicators of such improvement to include:
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- The engagement of all children in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school.
- The profile of P.E. and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching P.E. and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all children.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
Please read the information below which gives details of our P.E. and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.