Absence due to illness / emergency circumstances:
- A child’s absence must be reported to the school office before 9.15 a.m. on the first morning of absence.
- Failure to report your child’s absence by 9.15 a.m. on the first morning will mean that the absence for that day will be recorded as unauthorised. Admin staff will still telephone your child’s home/emergency contact for safeguarding reasons (to confirm that your child is safe at home and not ‘missing’) but this will not affect the attendance code already recorded. If your child is still unwell after a weekend, can you please inform the school on Monday morning.
- Absence information must be updated at regular intervals if your child is likely to be absent for more than 2 or 3 days.
- A message can be left on voicemail by telephoning the school and selecting option 1.
- Please note: messages regarding the absence of children must give clear details of the reason for absence, and must be from a parent/guardian (messages from brothers/sisters of the absent child are not acceptable).
- A follow-up letter confirming the details of the absence should be sent in to the class teacher when your child returns to school.
- All appointments should be made, whenever possible, outside of school hours.
- If your child needs to attend an appointment during school hours, a letter giving the relevant details should be sent in to the class teacher in advance.
- For emergency appointments please contact the school office by phone (option 4).
- For appointments where emergency illness is not an issue, your child is expected to attend school as normal before and/or after the appointment, having reasonable regard to the timing of the appointment and the amount of time needed for travel.
- Children of school age who are registered at a school must, by law, attend that school regularly;
- The regulations make it clear that parents do not have any right or entitlement to take a child out of school for the purposes of term-time holiday;
- Absence request forms (please see sample overleaf) must be submitted in advance for any absence that is not due to medical reasons (medical absences are subject to the normal notification to the class teacher/school office);
- Each request for absence will be considered on an individual basis, having regard to the government guidelines and each pupil’s performance and attendance record;
- Authorisation for term-time holidays will not be granted unless there are exceptional circumstances which might justify it.
The following points should be noted with regard to ALL absences:
Parents/carers are required to give an explanation for a child’s absence, but only the Headteacher can make a decision as to whether the absence will be authorised;
- Where it is considered that the explanation is not satisfactory, the absence will not be authorised;
- All absences (authorised and unauthorised) are checked at regular intervals by the Education Welfare Officer and may be investigated by the Education Welfare Department.
School staff have a duty to ensure that attendance conforms to government regulations, which includes confirming details of all absences. If you have any queries regarding attendance/absence procedures, please do not hesitate to contact the school office.